Monday, April 27, 2009

Winding down our school year...

It's nearly May now, which means our school year is coming to a close. Yay! By this time (actually, more like around March) I am feeling such a need to be done with schoolwork and have a short break. It has it's benefits, though, since this is also the time I usually start taking a few more field trips, going fun places, or just spending more time outside because of the great weather. That spring sunshine is addicting! As I look back and evaluate this year, I would have to say this has been one of our more difficult. Sure, we had a lot of changes that brought their own stresses with them, but we also just didn't seem to enjoy our learning as well. I think part of this had to do with the curriculum we used-In an effort to help me with all the prep time, we steered more toward a textbook approach, which got a little monotonous after a while. I also had some of my older kids doing some computer-based learning, which helped them be more independent, but also cut down on some our interaction-and I missed that. I plan on changing things for this coming year and have so many different things floating around in my head. I'm really not sure which direction to go at this point! I have realized, though, that I really need to just sit tight and pray-and not make any decisions yet-until I'm sure of the direction the Lord wants us to go. It's so easy to get swept away by the newest, latest curriculum out there without considering whether it is right for my family. As I'm coming up on my 12th year of homeschooling, one simple truth is finally starting to sink in. It's not about how well my child can spell or how quickly they can do their times tables, the goal is to teach my children God's word and introduce them to Jesus Christ!
Deuteronomy 6:6,7: These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
Even if I failed in the other academic areas, I have succeded in my job if I have taught them the truths from the Bible! What an eye opening, but refreshing verse to hear. I find that I constantly need to refocus and remember what my goals really are, instead of being sidetracked by what the world says I should do or what others may be doing. I'm a work in progress, and I am thankful that the Lord is so very patient with me. I am praying for a new start for the upcoming year and another chance to focus on Him!

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Preach it, sista! :)

    I find that even though we are extremely relaxed with our "education", I am always rethinking things. And I think that is a good thing, always reevaluating and exploring new options.

    I recently attended an eschatology retreat, and that really put more focus on our future in a spiritual sense and made me check our priorities. Wow! So now I am more focused on teaching Bible doctrine, Scripture memorization and survival skills, and the other "subjects" will just be picked up along the way. They have been so far anyway, and my kids are not behind at all! :)

    ReplyDelete