Saturday, June 27, 2009

Boys and their toys....

No, I am not opening up my own little fireworks shop-this is the stash-or part of it, since I couldn't get it all in-that my boys (Dad included) have started collecting for the much anticipated 4th of July fireworks show at the Yondas! If you're wondering where part of that lawnmowing money my boys earned has gone, well here it is! Every year they try hard to outdo the last year's show. It's funny, because my woman brain says, "What a waste of money!" I can think of about a hundred different things I would rather spend that money on. But to them it is worth every penny! Blowing things up..I guess for males, it doesn't get much better than that. I have to admit, they do put on a pretty good show and we do end up with a fair amount of our neighbors sitting out on their lawns watching it, too. So lots of people do get to enjoy it! They first started this tradition when we moved to Oklahoma 8 years ago. Just the mention of fireworks being legal made hubby giddy with excitement! You see, he grew up being able to shoot off fireworks every summer while he was in New York. However, in Arizona, where we lived until we moved, they were not legal anywhere. Of course, I was scared to death at first, thinking he'd set the whole house on fire. I've melllowed out, though, which is what you do when you have boys, right? Dad is very safe when lighting them and is very cautious with the boys. The little ones have no part of it-they are only allowed to watch. I never understood why parents give their little kids those burning hot sparklers-that is just an accident waiting to happen! For my kids, the countdown has begun..only one more week until the big day. I am sure they will visit at least a couple more fireworks stands from now until then, to make sure they've got plenty of stuff to light off. So if you're ever in Texas in our area around July 4th, stop in and enjoy a great fireworks show-but in a few years, we may have to start charging admission!

3 comments:

  1. How fun! We have been going to the Pruitt's house every year for the last 5 or 6 years, and it gets bigger every year too! It is supposedly illegal where they live, but they are on the edge of town and live on a culdesac, so all of the neighbors participate and it is usually pretty safe. Last year a police officer came out and blocked the end of the street so that no traffic would come through while we were all setting off the fireworks! I guess it's easier to protect that many people by doing that rather than trying to fine or arrest everyone. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're going to bring a tear to my eye. I remember those OKC Yonda fireworks all too well. Time sure does fly!.....

    ReplyDelete