Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sucker?

I just received a $5 check in the mail from a phone survey I did a few weeks back. Yes, it was one of those calls that came just at the wrong time (in the middle of fixing dinner). So why would I bother, you ask? Well, because I used to have that job! Years back, of course, but I remember how it was-dialing people all day, hoping just one person would answer the questions you had because you worked on commission! I was always amazed at just how mean people could be-instead of a simple "No thank you", they would often proceed to tell you off. I know it is not the surveyor's intention to irritate me, he's just doing his job! I guess ever since that time, I've always made it a point to try to take those phone surveys if I possibly can, just to try to bless that person's day. Well, this particular day, I figured I'd be done in 5-10 minutes, no big deal. After all, he did say it was a "quick" survey. Well, 25 minutes into it, I so desperately wanted to hang up, but i couldn't do it! I had to hang in there until the end! I must admit, my survey answers toward the end were very half-hearted-I couldn't bear to talk about instant mashed potatoes another minute! Well, I did complete it and my reward, my $5, did come as promised, even though that wasn't the reason I did it in the first place. I have noticed something odd the past few weeks, though. I have gotten more survey calls from other companies than I have in the past 2 years! Is it after you complete a survey like that-they place you on some kind of call list-what I would call a sucker list? They must figure you were gullible enough to do one survey, surely you'd do many others! One company called me 3 times in the same week! I finally had to put my foot down and tell them "Please stop calling!" But,even though I may not enjoy talking to these people on the phone all the time, in the future, I will still try to do their surveys when I can. I am hoping that if I'm ever in that job again, someone will do the same for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment