Monday, July 27, 2009

Little by little...

If you are a mom, no matter how many children you have, you have a to-do list! Probably a to-do list with tons of stuff that you want to get done, but don't get around to. Yes, I am speaking from experience here. I am the type of person who loves to get things done-I'm a box checker. It makes me feel good to know I'm making progress. But it is also easy for me to look at big jobs and feel overwhelmed and not know where to start. As my family has grown, I have come to see that I will never have big blocks of time to set aside to tackle my to-do list. My solution-and one that has worked well for me-is to take advantage of the little pockets of time I do have that may otherwise be wasted. No, the task will not get done all in one sitting, but little by little, with time and diligence, it will get done! This year, I have started setting aside 20-30 minutes in my day that I try to devote to sewing. I am not always able to do it, but that's okay. One day I may only get as far as cutting out a few pattern pieces or sewing a few stitches, but over several days of doing this, you can really see the progress! It's quite fun! So far, I have been able to sew Sarah's swimsuit and also a skirt. I also use a 20 or 30 minute block of time just after lunch when I work on baking something-whether it be rolls for dinner that evening or a dessert opr whatever is needed. I often bake things several days ahead of time and freeze them if I know I won't have the time to do it later. I also do this with my cleaning-using short 15 or 20 minute periods to clean something in a room. No, the whole room isn't getting cleaned, but over several days, you can definitely see the improvement! This is an encouraging way for me to do things and has also helped me relax my standards! A little planning, patience, and diligence certainly goes a long way!

2 comments:

  1. This so encouraged me on a different struggle I am having. It is a big project, but your words helped me to remember to take it little by little and be diligent. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you are amazing!!!!!!!! You really need to write a book, on raising children. You are something else. Love Rose :}

    ReplyDelete