Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tiny in size, mighty in power!

No, I'm not referring to a person-I'm talking about this.....

Yep, the mini marshmallow. I am amazed at the influence this little mini marshmallow can have on my kids. For example, my 5 yo boy, in kindergarten this year, can sometimes get a little bored/distracted/whatever while homeschooling. Now, I don't ask a lot of a wiggly little boy, but I do like him to get a page of his math and handwriting and do some reading. To help motivate him to want to do it instead of having to push him, I offered up one mini marshmallow for each math problem he completed. Wow! I've never seen him so excited to do his math! He even counts up the problems he did and gives me his number for the day. Believe me, he makes sure every little marshmallow is accounted for. We've also used them with the other kids when we practice our geography. It's kind of like Geography bingo, where you have to locate the countries. A right answer gets a marshmallow. Fun! How about potty training? We're not doing that now, but in the past, treats are a huge motivation. We've had similair success with other treats like m and m's, fruit loops, etc, but the marshmallows are the best in my book because they're cheap-99 cents for a good size bag, all my kids like them, and since one of my favorite candies is m and m's, those would run out pretty quick because I'd be eating waaaaaay too many of them! My kids don't get treats for everything-certainly not-but everyone likes to be rewarded for a job well done and this treat is just enough to keep 'em motivated!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea, Amy! I like the new look of your blog too!

    ReplyDelete