Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cooking Canadian style!

I'm a little late in posting, but we recently finished up studying Canada in homeschool. So, just like we did when we studied Mexico, we had a cooking day to sample some yummy "Canadian" food. Just a note, I'm not sure if this food really qualifies as Canadian, but it's the recipes the book gave us! At least we didn't do Canadian bacon, right? The first one was a blueberry crumble, I guess you'd call it. It was blueberries with a yummy oatmeal/brown sugar topping. Here are the big kids cooking away-and one acting very goofy!


Posing for the camera!

Here is what it looked like before putting it in the oven. You can't even see the blueberries, but after it baked you could.

Then came the fun....the sampling! The kids all loved it. We also had a dessert called 'snowballs' which was a scoop of vanilla ice cream with maple syrup and nuts on top. Obviously, because there are so many maple trees in Canada! Here is little guy after trying a bite of the blueberries. He didn't get to try the ice cream-sorry, too young!
We just started learning about Brazil. I took a look at some of the recipes and they don't look nearly as good as these were! I may have to do some more researching. We'll post when we have our next cooking day!

2 comments:

  1. Amy , Do you happen to remember Tuca Ogle from the LIGHT group? Maybe she could help you find some recipes from Brazil.She is from there and could probably give you tons of yummy recipes! She is an excellent cook! I should know b/c after I had baby #3 she gave me a meal plus homemade rolls and homemade brownies! She is on facebook. You could search for her on there or just look through my friends list.

    Looks like you guys had fun learning about Canada Eh! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I bet Tuca would love to help you, and you probably know her from FSBC! :)

    I went to Brazil when I was 15 years old, and the whole 2 weeks while we were there we drank a very popular soft drink called Guarana. Apparently Guarana berries only grow along the Amazon river! Anyway, I hadn't tasted it in 19 years until last week! I recently discovered (and wasn't even trying) TWO places in the metro that carry it, so I got a couple of bottles at POPS for my birthday last week! YUM! Just like I remembered, and it brought back a ton of memories. It's Brazil in a bottle. If you can find it, you've got to try it. :)
    http://www.guarana.com/

    ReplyDelete