Saturday, July 31, 2010

My baby is grown up!



Yep..the title says it all....my baby is grown up! Not grown up and leaving the house (yet) , but grown up, nonetheless. He is turning 17 on Tuesday, but due to his hectic work schedule, we decided to celebrate it last nite when we knew he'd be there! At his request, we had a triple layer chocolate cake (he loves chocolate!) and ice cream. And yes...my girls made sure to count out exactly 17 candles!


He opened his gifts and was quite surprised and happy-a new cellphone, cash, and gift cards!


He is pretty low-key and didn't want to make a really big deal out of his birthday,so we all just enjoyed being together at home. And a movie to top off the evening was nice, too. Truly, the past 17 years with him have been full of so much-both tough times and very fun times. I think I can say that he's probably taught me more than I've taught him! He has one of the most loving hearts I've seen-he truly cares for his siblings and others (even when they annoy him!) and his easygoing personality is a blessing to our sometimes chaotic family! When I think ahead to when he leaves my house, it makes me truly sad. A momma has a special place in her heart for her firstborn and the thought of not interacting with him everyday seems difficult. But raising children also means being able to let them go when it's time. Though I feel like I've messed up in so many ways with him, I am very proud of him and look forward to seeing what the Lord has in store for him. Happy Birthday!!!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, Matthew has the kindest heart, there is. What a wonderful, son, brother, grandson. He is wonderful. He is a breath of fresh air, Matthew i love you so much. xo

    ReplyDelete